Policy Statement Checklist
The best foundation for a complete Business Continuity Program is the definition, approval, communication and integration of an organization-wide Business Continuity Policy. The following Policy components will help to insure that strong foundation:
- The opening Introduction or Overview statement section defines the purpose of the policy.
- The Policy statement section defines the goals, metrics and responsibilities required to meet policy compliance. A statement of non-compliance penalty should also be included.
- The Policy Leadership statement section defines the executive management officer responsible for oversight, implementation and compliance assurance of the policy.
- The Policy Compliance Certification statement section defines the details to meet policy compliance certification. This may be a reference to a detailed document or source.
- The Policy Compliance Certification support statement section defines those who can assist with meeting policy compliance requirements.
According to the "Interagency Paper on Sound Practices to Strengthen the Resilience of the U.S. Financial System" report, decisions about overall BCP objectives should not be left to the discretion of individual business units. An organization-wide Policy should govern.
We would appreciate any comments you may have on Policy statements for a Business Continuity Planning program. Let us know your Policy, how you communicate the Policy and insure its compliance, and if we can publish your comments on our website.
View our Policy sample template.